Monday, July 13, 2009

Once again I am struck by the importance of experience. Gary Spence has over 20 years experience in leading technology development in his school division. He uses that experience coupled with the collaborative relationships to plan for the future. Planning begins with focus groups leading to the development of shared vision (not the first time we have heard this). The goal is to find a balance between standardization and empowerment particularly in light of real budget constraints.

His belief of the importance of IT is shared by previous presenters – that it is pervasive and as such is a literacy issue. It is not a question of ‘should we be using IT with our students’ but ‘what is the most efficient and effective was can we integrate technology’.
When Gary spoke of characteristics for an IT leader he was much more student centered than previous speakers. I am sure that it was implicit in previous presentations but he was much more explicit and I found that refreshing. He also validated everything we have learned about the characteristics of an effective IT leader so far.

I am drawn to the concept of a ‘learning plan’ rather than a ‘technology plan’. I was also impressed by the fact that they did not he and his division would not apply for grants for software or hardware that didn’t support the goals of improving students learning.
Before this course I was much less of a believer in the importance of standardization as a cornerstone of a division plan but after hearing John speak, I have changed my opinion. I have become a believer. I also agree wholeheartedly with his concept that if the technology is not stable and reliable then teachers won’t use it.

Gary made the comment that an outside researcher was impressed by the consistent answers relating to shared vision from the administration team. I felt the same level of consistency between what Gary and Larry Jacobs said and it is evident from their presentations. I enjoyed the enthusiasm and experience he shared with us and he definitely would be someone I would contact if I needed information or advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment